Welcome to the next installment of the INSPIRE series. This fitness piece is by the motivational Cory. Enjoy & share!
If I have learned anything since joining the “adult world” it is that having a traditional 8-5 schedule is great! I love having a routine and thrive when I can plan ahead and set goals and expectations. However, one thing I didn’t realize is just how hard it can be to get everything that needs doing done! Between cleaning and home maintenance, work, friends, my boyfriend, pets, family, personal time, it can feel like a lot to balance. And since I’m not an early bird or a night owl, it leaves me with a pretty small window of time to be productive. That is why a few months ago I started using my lunch hour as my workout hour! I found a spinning studio up the street from my office, and started spinning for 45 minutes twice a week.
I fell in love with the lunch hour workout! At first I was worried about being the sweaty, smelly girl in the office, but with a little learning and a little prep, I was able to master getting in my fitness while increasing my work productivity.
- Plan ahead – Know what you are doing! Pack your gym bag the night before and give it a once over in the morning just in case you missed something. Know where your workout is, where you can park, and what you need to do to make it happen. Eat a good breakfast, and always bring your lunch! That way you can ensure it’s healthy and not feel crunched for time. And finally, make sure the studio you choose has the amenities you need, like parking or maybe a shower and locker room.
- Find something you can do in 30-45 minutes – Ideally, your workout should be no more than 5 minutes from your workplace. No studio nearby? Find a great running trail or use nearby outdoor space to DIY your own workout with stairs, running, body weight exercises, and a yoga mat!
- Pack more than the essentials – Don’t zip up your workout bag once you’ve got the must haves in there. Go beyond the normal ponytails, workout clothes, and running shoes. Why? Because the more comfortable you are, the easier it is to say “YES” when your lunch hour comes around. Extras I like? Body lotion, sunblock, extra underwear, blotting papers, and allergy meds.
- Get your desk ready – I purchased a small desktop fan to help cool down after my workout. Stock your drawers with power up snacks for pre and post workouts like fresh fruits and nuts. Keep water at your desk throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated and help you get the most out of your workout. Keep a yoga mat and an extra set of shoes and workout wear so you never have an excuse to miss!
- Dress for success – Want in on my #1 secret? Start your day wearing your sports bra under a flowy dress with easy to slip on/off sandals. When the time to workout comes, it will be easy to slip out of your dress and into your workout wear. Then, you can put on a fresh, traditional bra afterwards. This will save you tons of time and mental stress of getting into the lunch hour workout mindset!
I know once I started using my lunch hour to workout, I have found it a lot easier to focus in the afternoon. The afternoon slump is like a distant dream for me. Since I’ve moved offices, I’m no longer near the spin studio, but I now do a boot camp twice a week and go on runs the other 3 days, since I’m training for an upcoming 10k! So instead of scrolling endlessly through your social media tomorrow at noon, or spending lots of money at a restaurant, lace up your sneakers and do something active and make the most of your lunch hour.
Cory is a web developer for a marketing company. She is a Louisiana girl at heart, but currently calls the Midwest home. Cory is a passionate vegan and fur mama to 2 cats and 3 dogs. On summer weekends you can find her spending the day on the water or planting flowers in her yard and drinking sweet tea. A life-long procrastinator, she is navigating her way through life trying to find a work/life balance and still get laundry done.