It’s that time again. The most dreaded week of any semester, a week sent to test student’s willpower, focus, determination and ability to survive on coffee. I asked my sorority sisters, friends and classmates for their studying tips and was overwhelmed with the response. Here is the compilation of the 25 best – somewhat – sarcastic tips for studying during this difficult week.
- Flash Cards. Make them and carry them around like precious gold. These babies will always work.
- Don’t binge watch Netflix… a.k.a. 13 reasons why You shouldn’t study.
- Study somewhere different. Switch up your study routine and go to a new environment. A change of scenery will help you focus.
- Sit up straight. Don’t study on your couch – you’ll fall asleep.
- Reward Yourself. Did you read a sentence? Eat a Skittle.
- Sleep. It’s better to get a couple hours of sleep than to study until your eyes glaze over.
- Memory games. If you’re trying to memorize those random facts about something that you’ll never need – make up a song/rap/poem or try ‘chunking’. It’ll make studying more tolerable.
- Don’t participate in Wine Wednesday. You’re welcome.
- Take a break. Hit up your closest pizza joint. It’s okay to let your brain relax for 30 minutes.
- Plan out your study times. Mark them down in your planner, phone or on your hand. As Nike says, just do it.
- Caffeine. This life staple will always rev up that old mind engine. Just don’t overdo it.
- Extra credit. One of my friends suggested crying in front of your professor. It’s been tried and approved.
- Take a Bath – it’s relaxing and also allows one to drown in one’s sorrows. But seriously, this is a great tip.
- Yoga. Speaking of relaxing, try a downward dog pose. It’s good for your brain.
- Watch a cat video. Just one…
- Music. Need some motivation? Put in those headphones and jam out. See my study playlist here.
- Take a short nap. A fifteen minute snooze fest is shown to increase brain function. Bonus points if you fall asleep on top of your books.
- Find a study buddy. Bounce questions off each other.
- Or lock yourself away in the library. To each their own.
- Stay off social media. It’s a dark hole of procrastination. Your ex’s best friend’s sister’s Facebook page will still be there later.
- Don’t go to work. Have a part time job or internship? Take off and bury your head in books.
- Ask for notes. Did you miss a day? A week? A month? Ask a classmate for the notes you missed.
- Interrogate the professor. Want to know how many questions are on the test? They usually answer.
- Figure out the lowest grade you can get on the final without failing the class.
- Or you can just do nothing. C’s get degrees.
So, there you go – 25 tried and true tips to get you through the week. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this list! Be brave my friends.